Tuesday, February 7, 2012

i know:/ its been a really long time:(

Ciao blog followers, if I still have any that is:/
Good grief I know its been forever and I know I promised that I wouldnt go more than 3 days:/ Im so sorry:( Time is flying people. It feels like the last time I wrote something was yesterday:/ I know its been a week maybe even more than that:/
   Im trying to think of anything cool weve done that is out of the ordinary:) Weve been making a lot of dinners in, its been so freezing outside, weve been avoiding that at all costs. We did go to a place called "The Diner" its basically a little American diner, I had a burger ( I know that is usually not something I would eat in America, let alone in Italy, but i had to go for it:) It had spicy pesto on top so that was pretty delicious, and I also had a cup of drip coffee. A weird combination, but I love and miss drip coffee:) We also went to a little bakery over the weekend, it was across the Arno, they also had drip coffee with free refills. Yes, free refills. Clearly an American joint, but also, oh its making me happy thinking about coffee with free refills:) I also ate a homemade english muffin with peach jam on top. Oh my heart:) It was so delightful. I would go get another one, it is just a little bit of a walk, and in the wind, the distance something is to where I am, has a great effect on my choice to go or not:)
   Today for lunch I made homemade chicken noodle soup and a grilled cheese with pepperocino cheese, which is like pepper jack, and then Sally, my roommate had the brilliant idea to sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the bread while it was in the pan. It sounds weird but im telling you, do it. Sprinkle just a tiny pinch on your next grilled cheese, I swear you wont be sorry.
  Some other things I have discovered that I absolutely love lately: lemon jam, I bought no-sugar-added lemon jam to try to supress the raging Nutella addiction I have, and let me tell you, its working. This stuff is amazing, there are pieces of lemon zest, oh its so good. Ill bring some home:) Also, coffee or hazelnut flavored yogurt. Again, it sounds weird, ITS INSANE! I want to eat it all the time, its so good. And they also make this kind that comes with a little pouch of crunchies, I dont know what it is, probably just cookie, but its delish. And lastly (for now anways) hot tea, I know thats not really a strict Italian thing, but I have been downing some hot tea lately, its yummy, its basically just water, its cheap and most importantly its warm. Ive found that the only successful way to stay warm in an apartment where the heat is off for most of the day is to have a constant intake of warm beverage. Its working:) Ive also found that I can get 2 or 3 cups of tea from one bag, you know youre in college when youre triple steeping a bag of tea that you left out the night before:)
   Ive been running more lately, Im getting back into my normal running groove:) Its been so cold, like snowing cold. My face burns but underarmor is amazing:) I love running, especially on the Arno. Today I was up at one of my farthest bridges and stopped to take a picture for the blog:) And the water was frozen over and there were birds walking on the water. It was just such a funny sight to see birds walking around on the Arno:)
   Honestly the cold has kept us from doing anythign super crazy outside. Walking by the Duomo every morning is like a joke. The wind whips around the whole circle of the Piazzo and its abosolutely insane how fast the wind blows. My face is slightly chapped but thats alright:) We did go to the Lindt store on Sunday, oh people. You would not guess how many flavors of overpriced truffles are in that store:) I ate 6 in one sitting:) There was a nocciola one, which is basically nutella:) And a coconut one, which tasted kind of like sunscreen but i still liked it:) And my favorite was probably orange, just get on a plane and come it for yourself, I cant do any of the food here justice trying to describe it:)
   Classes have been good, again, time is flying. Ive been able to work some on the wheel in ceramics which is great:) I love sitting there with the clay but im so terrible at it, I worked today for about an hour and a half trying to center one blob of clay, its so hard, and its so difficult on your arms and shoulders to work the clay like you have to. Batik has been going well, I just kind of do my own work. Our teacher has been super spacy lately, just doesnt seem to know whats going on or anythign. Thats ok, luckily, that class is pretty much just solo work with some instruction from her. I dont need her every class. I finished my first Batik, i have a picture but its pretty bad. I didnt realize how out of proportion my ladies head was:/ oops thats ok, its my first Batik ever after all, It couldnt be perfect:) And Ive also started working on my second, its gonna be a bit harder and were doing a different dying technique so Im excited for that.
   The weeks seem to go so fast here, its hard to describe, maybe its the 4 day, school week thing. Maybe its just because im here, i dont know:)
   Ok I think im getting a little sleepy, watching the superbowl and not getting in bed till 4 am Sunday night kinda messed up my sleeping schedule, but thats alright:) Im in Italy right? No regrets:) I honestly will try to post more, I dont want to forget this trip or any of the things weve done, so for no other reason than to document, I will try to write:)

Ps. I miss my Michael
pps. but guess what weve made it more than half way through the time till I see him!!! =]

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like soo much fun...thought of you when there was a shot of frozen canals in Venice on the news last night! And...when I tried my hand @ making homemade pasta! OMG SOOO HARD!!! so much easier to just pour it out of a box! love you, aunt sweetie

    ReplyDelete