Saturday, March 17, 2012

Greece!!!

Ciao Bloggers!!
 I know I know its been a long time again, but I have good reasoning:)
   First off, I was gone, in Greece for Spring Break:)
   Second...well we can get to that later:)
 So Spring Break, oh heavens, I dont even know where to start. We started off really early Saturday morning, and left on a bus to get to a boat to get to another boat and then another boat in order to get to a bus to get to our hotel. Long story short, this trip was a whole lot of traveling, which is totally fine, it also meant a lot of opportunities to look out the window and see everything. So anyways, Ill try to hit the highlights without rambling for too long. The overnight boat, the cruise if you will, was alright, the boat was really hot, like temperature. I dont know if that was a ploy to get us all to fall asleep so as not to feel the very boat-moving-in-the-waves feel, but it was warm and it did make me want to sleep. The cruise wasnt anything special, we were in chairs like on a plane, so sleeping was an adventure. I ended up on the floor, cuddled with somebodies suitcase, but that was fine:) It was absolutely beautiful to watch the sun set over the ocean and see the stars from the deck of the boat. After we got to land, we had to switch to another ferry to get to the actual port where we would catch our bus to the hotel. Finally we made it to the Pink Palace, I dont know if I can do this place justice in words or pictures. Think pepto color, in building form. If you really wanna see it, look it up:) It was fine, very much a "spring-break" hotel for college age people. It was nice, and pretty clean, and each morning we had breakfast, and each night we had dinner, which was already paid for. That was such a plus, paying for food on these trips can get so so expensive so the already done dinners and breakfasts were perfect. The view was unbelievable. Once again, I dont think any of the pictures that I took do it justice. We were on the Island, Corfu. It was beautiful. It was almost kind of creepy though because the whole little town were the hotel was, was abandonded, I think we caught it before the warm and springy season, so non of the other hotels were open, all the restaurants were closed, nobody was around. Creepy. But beautiful. And there were so many lemon and orange trees, and luckily, because nobody was around, I picked a lemon:) Didnt get to eat it, but it was pretty and it smelled delightful:) So after a few days at the pink palace, one of those being filled with the most incredible four-wheeling adventure Ive ever been on (granted, ive only been four-wheeling once before, but this one was insane) We were on four-wheelers for nearly 6 hours, seeing the whole island, going up to the highest point on the island, going down on the beach, it was absolutely beautiful, Ive never seen anything so beautiful. The four-wheeling might be my most favorite part of the entire trip:)
  So from the Pink Palace, we left I think it was Wednesday night after dinner, and rode an over-night bus to Athens, traveling overnight is not my favorite. It does make sense so were not wasting any time during the day, traveling, but sleeping sitting up is not my thing. A few benadryl cured that though:) We arrived in Athens and had some rest time before we took a walking tour which was really really cool. Saw a few ruins, as well as a changing of the guards ceremony. We got to see the Parthenon which was really cool. From up on the Acropolis you can see for miles and miles, and Athens is absolutely massive. It makes Florence look like a little baby neighborhood. The city is like an ocean that just goes on and on. Its so cool that Ive gotten to see so many different cities, Ive learned what I like and what I dont. Athens is cool, but it wasnt what I pictured. It has a lot of square, not very exciting buildings, and the streets are dirtier and filled with people that are in a hurry. The grafitti was sick, but other than that, it gave me an appreciation for Florence:) But dont get me wrong, Greece is beautiful, and I would love to go back:) I dont want to sound like Im complaining:) That night, we all went out for a huge family-style greek dinner. Oh. Greecian food is SO GOOD. I dont know that I could eat it all the time, but it is soo good. We ate so much, it was all unbelievable, except for the weird dessert. I dont even know what it was, we asked our tour guide if he knew what it was, and he said something to the effect "I dont know whats in it, and I really dont like it" So I didnt feel so terrible, not enjoying a traditional Greecian dessert if a local didnt like it either. But other than that, the meat, the salad, the pita, the Feta, Ive never been a fan of Feta, but let me tell you American friends, the Feta youve eaten, is NOT feta. Come to greece, youll want to eat a whole chunk of it. Oh and the olives, and the sausage, writing about it is making me drool.
   ANyways:) The next day we had some free time, we went to the Acropolis museum, as well as the archeological museum, both of which were really cool. I think we were all really worn out at this point. All the marble statues and stuff started to run together:/ But it was really cool to have the opportunity to go and see all of that. On the way out we ate the most amazing Greek yogurt. Im telling you. Greek yogurt is going to be the next big thing in America. I know everybody already loves the little cups of it from the grocery store, but im talking this is the new self-serve fro-yo. I got to pick the toppings I wanted and they had a light option for the yogurt. I had plain greek yogurt with little chunks of apple, and corn flakes, and honey (there were like 4 options of different honeys). IT WAS SO GOOD. So good. Oh i want to go back just to eat the yogurt. That night we got kebabs for dinner, a little greasy but so tasty. Go to Greece people. Oh funny joke, on the boat on the way to Greece after not showering for a really long time, one of my friends said "I feel Greece-y" Haha, it makes me laugh because that food was so greasy, get it? Punny right? :) Oh what so little sleep will do to you:)
   I think it was the next mornign that I left early, I flew back to Florence so that I could get Michael Weller from the airport:) That morning I went from metro, to plane, to bus, to train, all in one day! All by myself. I was so proud, scared to death that I was going to mess it up along the way, but I made it! I am officially a fairly capable traveler:)
   So I guess that brings me to my next big blog:)
  Ill make a new one:)
    Keep reading peeps!

ps. I miss my Michael so much (but just wait for this next post) =]]

No comments:

Post a Comment