Thursday, March 1, 2012

Paris!!

Hello Blog people!!
   I know I know its been a long time:) Life is busy in Italy:) I even had a test today! My first test thus far in my Italian adventure. I know, lifes hard. 
   So last weekend, which is what I want to talk about, we went to Paris. Just hopped a flight to Paris, you know:)
   This adventure, oh my. I dont even know where to start. So we left on Thursday night, we took a bus from the Florence bus station, to the Pisa airport. Before we left, we went to school to check in and print our plane tickets. We printed our tickets and had time to run to McDonalds for a cheap pre-trip cappuccino. We got on the bus, we drove an hour to the airport. Everything was fine and dandy. We were told to check in at the desk before we tried to go through security. So we did. And guess what? We were supposed to check in before 4 hours before the trip. I dont remember when our flight was but lets say it was at 6, this means that anytime after 2, theres no possible way to check in a print your tickets. Guess when we checked in and printed our tickets? About 3 hours and 45 minutes before our flight. Awesome. 65 Euros a piece. 65 EUROS A PIECE!!!! down the drain. I have never been so mad, or so sad. Thats how much the flight cost!! Absolutely ridiculous, especially because thats just a cheap excuse my French, BS way for the airline to make money. They charged us each, 65 euros to print our boarding tickets at the airport because we hadnt done it within their anal time limits. The lady at the desk was extraordinarily rude. It was just a terrible moment. But you printed out your tickets before you left, you say? Yes, i did print a ticket, the ticket to come home. I didnt even look at the date. I hate my life. 
   But after that small meltdown, we realized we had no choice. We paid the money and ended up getting on the flight and everything was fine. Let me tell you, I will never, not read the small print in an email confirmation, ever again.
    So we fly to France, and then have to take another bus, an hour, into Paris. I saw the Eiffel Tower, freaked out and woke up all the sleeping people on the bus. Sorry guys. Im really not good at not being an obnoxious American. So after some metro rides, some gypsy dodging, and asking some French people for help. We finally got to the Hostel. Then long story short, I ended up getting jipped 10 dollars there too. I promise Mom and Dad, I am not frivalous with the money you have given me. I hate money. I hate it with a passion. Its so stressful. But we made it there alive. Then ran out in the city around midnight looking for food. The only thing open was this little cafe bar thing, the lady came outside and told us that the kitchen was closed but that she could make us some cheese on bread. I have never loved a stranger so much as I did in that moment. She reminded me of the mom from Parent Trap. Sweetest lady ever. 
   I have to say that I went into this Paris adventure with a bad taste in my mouth about French people. I have no idea why,  I feel like a horrible person for even saying that. I clearly got it from some steryotype. But honestly, they were so nice. The restaurant lade, offering us some food when she clearly had no reason to do so. We asked a girl on the street for directions. She got out her Iphone and plugged in the Hostels address and gave us detailed directions. The cars stop for you to crosst the road. Generally just a gracious people and i really was so so thankful for that. Especially after a stressful start to the trip. 
   So fast forward to the morning, we got up early and ate our free breakfast at the hostel. The hostel by the way was really cool. Really artsy and hip, reminded me of NoDa for anyone who lives in Charlotte or knows that art-district. The bathrooms left a little something to be desired. I only took one shower the 4 days that we were there. That says something about the showers. I love to shower and to be clean, so for me to do that, well...yeah they were pretty bad. But were college students so we have to stay in little hostels in Europe right? 
  So anyways, I keep getting off on these tangents:) In the morning we did the whole metro thing and went to the Louvre and figured out that we could go in that night after 6 for free! How awesome is that, so then we just kind of wandered around the city, walked along the river, saw Notre Dame, it was so amazing. I honestly think Paris is my favorite place so far. I love Florence, its become a home away from home but Paris was beautiful. It didnt feel very touristy. It was clean and open and the architecture is amazing. I love it there. I took a bunch of pictures so check facebook for those:) Then for lunch I had some ratatouille:) Delicious. Then we went to the Eiffel Tower and just kept wandering. I feel like thats the way to see the city is to just walk around:) Then that night we went to the Louvre. We didnt end up having a whole lot of time. But thats ok. That museum is absolutely massive. I felt so overwhelmed knowing that I wouldnt be able to see anything, but I think putting a time limit on it helped a little bit. It was incredible to say the least. The next morning we went to the Musee d'Orsay. This museum. Oh I cant even describe my love for this place. It was everything I love in one place. This building was exploding with Impressionst pieces. I was dying. So so so many Monet, Manet, Caillebot, Seurat, Da Vinci, Degas, Renois. Oh I cant even put it into words. We spent so many hours there, my feet were dying but it was so worth it. I wish I could live in that place. I took a lot of pictures there as well, got yelled at a few times. But it was totally worth it:) I still am just so excited that I got to see everything that I did. After that we came back to the hostel and just rested for a long time. Travel wears you out. So we all just rested and ate 300 free crepes that the crepe lady made at the hostel every afternoon. Then that night we went to the grocery store and got some baguettes and cheese and apples and made dinner in the hostel which was great:) It was relaxing and cheap! 
   The next morning, Sunday morning we overslept:/ But then finally got packed up and checked out and headed for the Eiffel Tower. We then proceeded to climb up the Eiffel Tower with all of our belongings. It was cheaper that way, plus we had to burn off all those free crepes:) The view was insane. If you ever get the chance, I say climb the tower:) Then we wandered some more, I ate an eclair and we headed towards the bus station to catch the bus to the airport. It was a fantastic trip, and after a double espresso in the airport i wasnt even tired anymore:) 
   So that was Paris, we leave for Greece on Saturday for Spring Break. I am really excited to see Greece, but I cant lie, I get to see Michael Weller a week from Saturday and that thought is making me happier than anything has in a long time. I cant believe its already Spring Break, but at the same time it feels like ages since Ive seen him and Im so so excited that I going to be able to share this incredible place with my best friend:) I also forgot to add my little corny "ps I miss my Michael" bit to my last blog:/ Shoot I hate that I did that:( So to make up for that:
 Ps. I miss Michael:)
Ps. I miss my Michael:)
I love you, I love you, I love you, thank you for being my best bud=]
  
I know its sappy. You try going 9 weeks without seeing your best friend and then we can talk. 
:)
  
Ciao! I will blog soon!! ...at least I will try:)

No comments:

Post a Comment